The team at Crabtree Dental in Katy is dedicated to the prevention of tooth decay, which is the foundation for a healthy and beautiful smile. Preventative dentistry – brushing, flossing, and regular dental cleanings with a dental hygienist – are indispensable for this. There are some places, however, where enamel damage can occur even with dedicated oral hygiene, and that’s where dental sealants come in.
The very back of the mouth, where the premolars and molars are, is the most difficult area to brush and floss. Deep pits in molars and spaces between teeth are the perfect environment for cavities to flourish. Food and bacteria that is lodged in pits of molars and spaces between teeth create acid that has direct contact with tooth enamel and immediately goes to work.
While brushing frequently is important, an additional safeguard against cavities is the application of dental sealants. Dental sealants are a plastic barrier that doctor Crabtree can apply. The sealants are placed over the top of each tooth, to prevent bacteria and plaque having direct contact with the tooth.
Many parents obtain sealants for their children and teens, and many adults in the Katy area are having them applied to help fight tooth decay and protect enamel. After sealants are applied, they will be examined at each visit and reapplied as required.
Are they cost effective? Sealants are relatively inexpensive initially and downright cheap when you consider the cost of filling cavities and restorative services that may be needed in the future. Sealants may be the best investment you ever make in your child’s smile.
To maintain a healthy smile, follow these important steps:
- Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush that is replaced every few months
- Brush with ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste after each meal
- Eat a diet with plenty of fruit, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, and low fat protein sources.
- Limit or avoid sugary foods and drinks, especially soda and hard or chewy candy
- Visit Crabtree Dental at least once a year and have your teeth cleaned and examined
- Consider having sealants to help protect the enamel in the hard-to-clean places
Contact Crabtree Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):